Children, young people and families
Worried about yourself or another Young Person?
Safeguarding children and young people and keeping them safe is everyone’s business.
If you think that a child might be the victim of abuse or neglect or they may be at risk of harm, you should always report your concerns.
Please contact North Lincolnshire’s Children’s Services Duty Team on:
- 01724 296500 (9am to 5pm Monday to Thursday, 9am to 4.30pm Friday)
- 01724 296555 (answerphone – out of office hours and at weekends)
101 – Police non-emergency
999 – Police emergency
You can also read the government advice for practitioners What to do if you are worried a child is being abused, this leaflet will also be helpful to the members of the public who are worried about a child.
Information and Advice
If you’re a child or young person and you have any issues or concerns, you can contact Childline on 0800 1111 or visit www.childline.org.uk
Information and advice is also available online about particular issues, for example:
Voice and Engagement
Voice, engagement activity, co-production and working collaboratively with children and young people’s perceptions, aspirations and skills is an area of strength in North Lincolnshire. Building on this strong foundation, safeguarding partners and agencies remain committed to engaging with children, young people and families at an individual, service and strategic level. We work with established groups and forums and there are different mechanisms for young people to have their say. Examples include:
- Square Table Event – March 2019 – to consider young people issues as part of the wider children’s planning arrangements and Children’s MARs arrangements and opportunities for co-production – emerging themes and discussion points
- Elected Home Education Event – November 2019 – members of the Children’s MARS team attended this event to gather the views of children, young people and families who are home educated. This was an opportunity to engage with those whose views may not be easily accessible through traditional forums.
The law requires you to notify North Lincolnshire Council six weeks prior to:
- Your child going to stay with someone who is not a close relative for 28 days or more; or
- You looking after someone else’s child for 28 days or more
You are also required to notify the council if you know of someone in a personal or professional capacity that is privately fostering a child or young person.
For further advice and support please contact North Lincolnshire Fostering Service on 01724 297024